Sunday 23 November 2008

SCBWI Conference

Just back from a weekend at Winchester where I met up with loads of other writers and we did writerly things (bitch about the other writers and drink and eat too much, basically).
It was great, and reinforced why I'm so lucky to be where I am.

Met up with my glamorous Greenhouse brother from another mother, Jon Mayhew (who is much taller in real life than I'd expected) and we hung out a lot, which was both charming and a bit like the first day at a new school.

I signed my first autograph, which was strange, but (lets be honest) pretty cool.

The teachers there were brilliant. Lee Weatherley has helped make me the writer I am (so it's her fault if it all goes pear-shaped) with extraordinary advice from Cornerstones and this w/e. Tim Bowler was a total inspiration and Alison gave me a chance to practise what it might be like delivering a talk at a school visit. Quite terrifying.

And Candy, I've bought it, as advised. Thanks.

Saturday evening's entertainment was Barry Cunningham, the man who published Harry Potter and (more importantly) was Fat Puffin (for those who remember Puffin Club from the 1970's, which, incidently, is being relaunched).

Met lots of great people and read some amazing work which kinda gave me the willies. There's a lot of excellent writing out there and all of it deserves to be published. Why it's not is a mystery to be solved by wiser men than me.

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh, I'm jealous - glad you had a good time though. Sounds like fun. I'm not long back from my holiday so thought I'd pop in and say hi.
Read your other post - hope the writing's going ok and the weekend has inspired you to get those words onto paper/screen.
Take care
Tracy :)

SarwatC said...

Hiya Tracy,
Hope your hols were fun. Almost hit my monthly target of 15,000 words by the 31st. Really invigorated after SCBWI. You must go next time around.

Gareth said...

Unlike Tracy - I am jealous... or is it envious? One of them means there's no resentment involved I think!

Glad you had a great time and learned loads... see you there next year!

Gareth

PS - invigoration wise - I just got a couple of copies into two Waterstones branches with my self published masterpiece (ish!). Onwards and upwards!

Tracy said...

Well done on the 15,000 words - and glad you're feeling reinvigorated.
I must start saving the pennies and see if I can afford to go next time.

Jon M said...

It was great to meet up Sarwat! What a fantastic weekend! Ate and drank far too much! I don't remember being taller over the weekend but I'll take your word for it. Mr Cunnigham was a gent.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

(sorry, i got the tense wrong on the previous post and deleted it)

oh but i thought that jon would be much, much taller!

and what in the world did i advise you to buy?

SarwatC said...

Saw Anthony Horowitz last night give a talk in Dulwich. I missed his intro so when I arrived he was in full flow. He got the audience very excited by talking about Book 8 of the Alex Rider, especially when he asked for help in finding a title for it. He is a pro at this sort of thing.
It's on my mind because I'm due to meet the publicity people soon. Makes me feel a bit queasy. Apparently people are more afraid of public talking than they are of dying.